Wednesday, July 8, 2009

reflection on my drawing...

When asked to make a list of the types of technology I would want in my future classroom and then draw this classroom, I immediately cringed. First of all, I hate drawing. Second of all, I am not that versed in technology. I mean, I am a product of this generation so I do my fair share on a computer, on a cell phone, and with a digital camera. But I have never thought of technology in a classroom, and as a student in my high school did not experience much technology in my learning. Needless to say, my drawing did not include much technology. I drew a Macbook pro, a stereo system, a record player, and a projector and a screen.

I am familiar with Macs and love all the software that comes with the computer. As an English teacher, I would love to use sources from Youtube and poetry site. I had a professor that showed us videos and links of people reading their poetry which gave us insight into the reading of the poem. Making a text visual and audible is very powerful for a student. 

I really want to be able to show films that challenge students' thinking and also supplement the novels we will read. Reading films as a text provides a different view of what a text is. I would use the projector and sound system for this purpose. 

The sound system would also be used for the music unit I want to include in my teaching. I want to extend my poetry unit to include music and wold love to play old records for my students. The quality of records give a certain feel to the sound of music. 

I also hope to teach mathematics but have not experienced any technology in teaching math. I am so open and feel privileged to have the opportunity to learn my options for technology in my future classroom. I already feel confident that I am going to use the text polling activity in the future. I am sure that after this course my list of technology is going to grow; hopefully, I will not have to draw it. :)

3 comments:

  1. As a future English teacher, perhaps you'll be intrigued by some of the new web tools that allow students to create in very interesting ways. Given your interest in films and music, you might want to check out a most interesting site created by MACer Ryan Goble. This is a smapler that he did for a presentation he did for MAC last year. If it piques your interest, you should visit his "Making Curriculum Pop" ning, which is chock full of interesting ideas for using popular culture to help reach students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I cringed when they asked us to draw too!

    I found some really awesome videos on youtube, this guy rapping about Spanish conjugations and verb forms. Hilarious stuff, and so helpful. I promptly forwarded them to my former Spanish teacher.

    I received an email back, saying she would have to check them out at home because Youtube was blocked at the school. Total bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are an abundance of web tools that are fantastic for English teachers. We are going to look at Wikis tomorrow--an excellent environment for editing and the writing process. I also know a 7th grade teacher who created a virtual poetry slam (using blogs and cell phones for the audio).

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!