Thursday, July 23, 2009

overwhelmed in a good way...

My mind is on overload; there has been so much for me to process even in the last week. I think what is most on my mind is the concept of equity in the classroom and how technology can aid teachers in providing equal opportunities for every student in their classroom. 

I had not thought of the fact teaching all students the same way does NOT constitute equity in the classroom. In fact, it is the opposite. This should have been obvious to me, seeing as I know that all students do not learn in the same way. And now realizing that I most likely will have students with disabilities in the classroom, I need to be prepared to teach accordingly to each student. When Sara was talking about students with disabilities and how the general education teacher must be prepared to teach this student, all I could think about was how there are specific programs in order to train teachers for special education. I did not choose to be trained in this way, yet I will be expected to perform in the classroom. How will this work out?

My heart is for every student, so I am open to learning ways to attend to every students' needs. I know differentiated instruction is an area where educational technology must come in; however I feel pretty ignorant even as I am writing these words. I did a little research on the web and found some resources:




but please post some more! I want to get into this topic and be as prepared as I can!

8 comments:

  1. I agree, it's a scary thought.

    Try not to get TOO overwhelmed. Remember, the special education teachers and professionals are there to be a resource to you too. Their job is not just to help the students. It's part of their job to help YOU help the students! They are a huge resource...so use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    I've been wondering about the same issues (I even wrote about them before reading your blog)! I guess that means we all care enough to create the best environment for our students. If we didn't, we may not feel as overwhelmed about all of this, right?
    Glad to know that you're feeling the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I agree, it is rather frightening to have to think about these different ways to show and now show equity in the classroom.

    One thing that I thought about when it was mentioned that teaching the same way to all students was not equity was that yes, we should pay attention to how we address these special needs kids, but also to those "higher functioning" kids. I know that as a student, I often felt neglected because I was doing just fine in class and the teacher felt that I didn't really need them. Although I didn't necessarily need them to understand the material, their mere presence in my education was just as important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, thanks for the great post. I was searching on line and came across this website on teaching math to students with ADHD. You may want to check it out.

    Learning Math for the ADHD Child

    addadhd.suite101.com/article.cfm/teaching_the_adhd_child_part8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ronnie Stephens, who heads assistive technology services for the Washtenaw Intermediate School District, steered me to the CAST (Ctr for Applied Special technology) website, where you can take a close look at the Universal Design for Learning model, and download the free book "Teaching Every Student." Ronnie makes the case that many of the accommodations made for learning disabled students can really benefit all students, and the professional development work that she does is infused with that idea. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,
    I definitely share your concerns of equity in the calssroom. Special education is not something that I know much about and it frightens me to think of how I am going to be able to adapt my teaching to students with those needs in my own classroom. We will learn together ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah.. thanks to sharing this with us. I want to teach my students equally. I'm still thinking about how I should teach the student who has disabilities. I don't know if I should treat them differently in a good way to help their assignments. But at the same time, I don't want them to feel that I treat them special because of their disabilities. It is my homework to think about how I can approach them without hurt their feeling.
    I had a few chances to tutor those students before. And, they were really appreciated when their teacher noticed their weaknesses and done extra work for them (ex. changing paper color for colorblind student..use bigger size font..etc).
    We will get through this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leah, I have the same concerns as you. I am also thinking about how to teach these students without leaving out the rest of the class. It seems so hard to be able to keep a balanced instruction in the classroom. I will keep in touch with you and some of the others who have posted because I think we can all learn from and with each other. I hope you find some really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!