Thursday, September 24, 2009

blog it up.

My methods instructor began our class on Tuesday with journal prompts. I needed to tae the quote below and explain what it had to do with teaching English; since I have been mulling over the purpose of teaching English as a high school subject I picked this prompt and the words overflowed:

“To speak of mere words is much like speaking of mere dynamite.”

Neither exists, mere words nor mere dynamite. (They could exist merely but they would not be worth much, if anything.) Dynamite is nothing except for its power, and the same goes with words. When we teach English, we teach students the power of words—their power to communicate, to bring forth emotion, to encourage, to wound, to inspire, to defeat, to manipulate, to relate to or with people, to connect, to ruin. As teachers, we do not merely teach words or the order of words or the interpretation of words, but how to use them to the benefit or harm of people, to the growth or atrophy of society.


Would kids be as disengaged as I have witnessed if this is what we communicated as the goal/philosophy/adventure/purpose of teaching and learning English?

3 comments:

  1. I think you bring up an excellent point about communicating "WHY" we are teaching the lesson or concept and "HOW" they are being assessed. When I was teaching my principal had each of the teachers put up a sign that said, "Ask me why I am learning this?" In order to challenge teachers to think about the purpose of every lesson. It worked well for me. And almost every class I was asked that question.

    I am really enjoying your thoughtful reflections on teaching and learning during the Fall term. I just want to remind you to avoid using specific names of people or schools in the reflections (we still understand the context with the specific names).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rabbit Hunter,

    I enjoy your wordsmithing, you have such a sharp ability and this will catch on with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be a wonderful teacher. You are insightful in the ways we ought to be insightful. I too am trying to focus on why I teach as opposed to how I teach. The why of teaching has a greater effect,

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!